Just a girl.
Just me.
Just Regular Decker.While I am still unsure about just all the complexities that make up our current government shut down I am sure about one thing: I don't want to see the President of the United States on Twitter. Ever.
Let's go back.
I am still getting to know Twitter, so to get a feel of what is possible for Tweets and since I had questions about what the government shut down really meant. I thought it would be interesting to see how much information, what types of information and the accuracy of information.
Currently Twitter is growing faster than any other social media network. Apparently it's really true that people want to be apart of the conversation… any conversation. Luckily, there are plenty of people with plenty to say. There is so much to navigate through, but I tried to take courage.
While scrolling down he ever growing commentary on the shutdown I was fairly surprised at the information I was able to glean from a quick look. I was able to find the standard right against left wing comments, blame being thrown around, and some hilarious memes including IT professionals reminding us that when something isn't working (including the government) we just need to shut it down and turn it back on again. I even found some helpful information and links to sites with accurate and useful information about the shutdown. To be honest, I was happily surprised.
Then I saw it @BarackObama. I won't write the words here, because this is not a political blog by any means. The bottom line is that the president of our country used social media as a tool for his political agenda. For as helpful as I can see that social media can be, I thought this was TOTALLY inappropriate for someone in his position.
Because Twitter is such a direct and personal tool it blurs the line between a personal opinion and a PR or marketing agenda. This can be helpful when trying to join conversations as a business, but for our the leader of our country to use and in my opinion abuse that line is unacceptable.
Twitter is not reality. Twitter is a tool. Proceed with caution.
No comments:
Post a Comment