Just a girl.
Just me.
Just Regular Decker.
And while I like my amateur jaunt through the September issue of Vogue as much as the next girl I was surprised to see that alongside the expected array of tantalizing shoes, whispy models and the newest Urban Decay lipstick were articles championing social media.
It caught me off guard. It wasn't what I was expecting to read when I saw an adorable Audrey Hepburn style socialite in sassy red flats. It was so expertly folded into her artfully constructed fashion bio, I actually enjoyed it. One moment I am being drawn into a gorgeous photo shoot feeling like I should change into something vintage that would look great blowing in the wind, next moment I am considering how I can follow this force-of-a-woman, Cassandra Grey, and soak up some of her impeccable style.
I am now following @violetgrey.
It’s no secret that I have not been an advocate of the flood of social media marketing. The fact that I suddenly have a desire to pin or re-post or follow anyone that I wouldn't already invite to a bbq comes as a surprise, especially to me. Normally, I am vocally fed up with the social media that lines the bottom and side of every ad and article with “like us on Facebook”. I can’t take the local small town hardware store awkwardly Tweeting or posting pictures of their regular ads. I can’t see the point of it all.
Add one afternoon with my September Vogue, and suddenly, I found myself reading about Cassandra and wanting to know more about the things that she is interested in and passionate about. I wanted to “join her tribe” and gain some of the energy that seemed to be driving the momentum behind that pixie cut beauty.
After just a little of my pride got swallowed, I wondered why I was so drawn in. I have decided on a few things that have changed my whole perspective:
She is a reliable source-- a woman of style, class and connections is needed to be an authority that the Vogue demographic wouldn't have to think twice about trusting.
She loves what she does-- this way of expressing herself happens to be natural product of her passion. There was no need for her to synthesize a persona or facade to present things with the right flare, she is naturally #soviolet.
She is genuine-- not just drawing me in to get me in the perfect spot for a sales pitch. Her Twitter account is not run by a team of market professionals.
This is not the same as a dentist wanting me to like him on Facebook. Her approach and motivation fits naturally into the group she is now leading!
I honestly can't say that before this insightful perspective I would know what a Vogue Twitter account would even look like. I wouldn't expect there to be a connection between ladies that love Jimmy Choo and Gucci to be interested in hash tagging anything, but it fits this style savvy demographic like I couldn't believe.
The tone of her life and social media took me by surprise. It has given me food for thought on just how an effective voice in the social media market should sound.
Companies and individuals don't have to construct a manicured message to reach a calculated part of the consumer market. Social media marketers can find the social voice that naturally fits the personality and motivations of an already willing (albeit unknowingly willing, like myself) niche of the market. If more companies used this type of approach, I might soon be following more companies and Twitting or Twittering or even Tweeting on my own free will.
Cassandra Grey showed me that there are some things that I, as a marketing professional hopeful, need to remember as I launch off into my own social media pursuits.
I guess a pair of cute shoes is all it took to convince me.
No comments:
Post a Comment